Dig into the history!
Want to get to know the real Talbot House?
Let one of our passionate storytellers take you on a trip to tell you his favourite anecdotes and petit histoires. Many of our storytellers have a long-standing association with the House and are very keen to tell you about their passion.
Join our storytellers and get more out of your visit
Which tour should I pick?
All tours are pending availability and should be booked in advance. All story tours aer € 40.
- A House of People: max. 50 people
- Introduction on the history of Talbot House, from the founding till the present day, delivered by one of our Talbot House Storytellers. During your tour of the grounds, you'll hear lots of anecdotes from the past on the life behind the lines in the camps, hospitals and the vibrant city of Pops as well as many Talbot House stories from the Great War and more recent times.
- Duration of your tour: 1 hour, including a visit to Talbot House, the garden and the Happy Hoppers Concert Party. Ideally followed by 30 min. of free time for a cup of tea.
- Tales of Talbot House: max. 25 people
- Story tour of Talbot House by one of our in-house storytellers. As we make our way through the House, we quote from the memoirs of our founding fathers. Who better to tell you what it was like than the people who were there in their own colourful language?
- Duration of your tour: 1 hour, can be flexible. Ideally add on another 30 minutes of free time to explore and have tea.
- Pettifer’s Adventures: Age 6 to 14 only, max. 50 people
- Join Pte. Arthur Pettifer MM on a mission in Talbot House. Arthur, a legendary scrounger, was employed at the House during the Great War and gives you a first hand snappy account of his adventures.
- Duration of your tour: 30 min. Ideally we recommend you add on another 30 to 60 min. to explore the site or have a cup of tea.
Besides these standard tours, the following thematic tours are also available. All trous are subject to availability and cost €40.
- Down-under in an upside-down House: Australian stories linked to Talbot House, 25 people max.
- Discover many Australian stories from the Great War set in Talbot House. Did you know Tubby himself was born in Australia? Thousands of Australian soldiers were able to lift their hearts during a visit at the club during the war. There were maps of Australia on the wall, you could hear Aussie slang in the corridors and of course the billiarts was run by a "digger".
- Duration of your tour: 1 hour, but can be flexible. Ideally add another 30 minutes of free time to explore and have tea.
- Christmas Tour:
- For the British Tommies, Christmas was sacred. During the dark days of the First & Second World War, the Yuletide always gave a glimmer of hope in the dark. Together with our storytellers, you can discover countless funny but also special anecdotes. Enjoy the scenery as the House & Garden are wonderfully decorated.
- Duration of your tour: 1 hour, but can be flexible. Ideally add another 30 minutes of free time to explore and have tea. Available in November, December & January
Please take a moment to explore our guided walks and tours in the town and wider area.
TALBOT HOUSE EVERY MAN'S CLUB, POPERINGE, BELGIUM - COPYRIGHT 2022